Again, soooo much since the last time I got on here and posted! Makes me giggle as I read through my last post....the positive attitude and hope I had, trusting in the Lord, unwavering faith...and desire to move to Detroit. All very funny now!
So- Match Day. Around 5 pm Phil got the email with our assignement. He matched to his #3 choice of Detroit. He cheered. The kids cheered. And Im ashamed to admit- I burst out in hysterics. Cried and screamed and ran to my room, locking the door. Now, let me explain. I heard the comment repeatedly "you knew you could match to any place on your list of 6" and "you were part of the decision and supported Detroit". Yes, all true. And it sounds so stupid to say this out loud, but I was honestly just 100% convinced we would match to Grand Rapids. I have researched for the past 18 months and found the perfect schools, the perfect church, perfect Christian friends and crazy small world connections with Grand Rapids. Lake Michigan. Apple trees. Great schools. I had a house picked out, online friends...I just KNEW it was where we were meant to be. So, to then see Detroit in that black and white email...destroyed me. I actually left and went to my friend Denise's house and cried on her shoulder for what seemed like an hour. My phone was ringing off the hook with everyone's good news about matching to their first choices. Everyone wanting to know where we were going. I couldn't even choke it out. Then to get on facebook and see all these happy people and the people who got Grand Rapids sooo excited... and even worse, telling people were we matched to and hearing constantly, "Oh, can you change it" and "Ick. I wouldn't want to live there." and "Get a gun". I was panicked. I cried for two months. Not kidding. Every day I shed a tear or two at least, if not all out bawling. Would I get a job in that economy? Rent cost is outrageous there! I researched and tried to just become educated about this place that I have never considered much at all. And discovered things to be excited about---beautiful scenery, lots of water, still great schools, great experience for Phil, IKEA and football games and the Detroit Zoo.
Then, December 8th, we got a phone call. Another couple called and said they hadn't been able to forget about Detroit and were wondering if anyone was interested in trading them? They were assigned Wichita Kansas. Phil didn't seem interested at all. But then, the next day, he shared with me all the research he had done that day with realtors, the hospital, the community- the zoo! lol- if you know my kids, you know that is important!, the schools, etc. He sent me an email late that night that just said "Let's do it!" I died! In 2 yrs we had researched and read and talked and asked advice and never once did we talk about Wichita. Was this what the Lord had in mind all along? His plan was Wichita and Detroit was just the means to get where we were meant to be??? And why the heck did I have such a temper tantrum with Him? Could I not have just trusted and knew that my God is with me whereever I go, and as long as I have my family all is fine? I was so humbled by my behavior and my trust in Him when I get what I want... sharing how blessed we are when things go my way, and when they don't doubting that this was really His plan, that He couldn't have had his hand in it. What a lesson I had learned through that journey....
So, we will move to Wichita Kansas on June 24th for the next two years. Not sure when we'll get to visit to check it out....maybe June 24th ;)
Other quick highlights: Kids are fantastic, excited to move, J is starting to read and forming sentences, Emma will represent her class in the Ray Miller spelling bee on March 16th, Phil is doing great in school, but man, this is a rocky road and married life has lots of ups and downs but I adore his passion for school and his passion for our family. SAA keeps me hopping more than I can even list on here- but wouldn't change a second of it. I am so blessed to meet the wonderful people I meet, to grow and learn and be challenged and to be impacted by the most talented, most beautiful, most energetic, most creative group of spouses and significant others at any med school anywhere.
In November I went to New Orleans with 3 of those other spouses- a blast. A place Id never wanted to go, but now can't wait to take Phil. Historical, moving, interesting, and I came to understand the attraction of jazz when I never had before.
Thanksgiving was awesome- my mom and dad and Phil's mom and his grandma Joyce and Grandpa Merle all met us in Branson for the long weekend! Dixie Stampede, fun restaurants, good shopping, Silver Dollar City, and other shows. Dream weather in the 70s. Awesome time, sooo happy they all made the trip and great memories with us!
Went back to ND for Christmas...and there was a huge blizzard on Christmas Day. all plans cancelled. 25 inches in Grand Forks. Wonderful to see the family that we were able to see, but definately hoping for a Kansas Christmas next year!
I've fallen in love with spinning classes 3 times a week at the gym and Jillian Michael's workouts at home. Now, if I can just quit eating cookies and icecream! Im down 15 pounds. But have a bigger goal by the time Phil's brother Justin and Ruth get married on May 29th in Valley City. Phil is best man and I am a bridesmaid. We were both SO honored and can't wait to celebrate with them!
2 comments:
I'm famous!!! You crack me up, make me smile and cry at the same time, and remind me to be humble... Love you!!
Thanks for allowing us to get to where we are supposed to be. I'm just glad it worked out this way for both of us. Thanks for sharing your faith in Christ it really adds to my testimony of him.
Post a Comment