Anyway---everyone has always told me psych is the easiest hours---and it has NOT been for him! And the hours are worth it if you adore what you're doing. Ah well...3 weeks to go! =)
Thursday, August 5, 2010
I hate psych.
It's been 4 days of Phil's psych rotation. It is inpatient, so he is working in the hospital and has about 4 patients assigned to him. It's his first exposure to doing rounds in the morning, working with the computer system there, making charts and that paperwork stuff, and having a resident and an attending to work with. So he has been going in around 5:30 or 6 am to go through charts and stuff to be ready to round with the attending. Tuesday he was home at 4. Today he wasn't home until 6:30 pm because they got an admit around 4:30. Every night he has articles to read and the poor guy, he had to give a report the next morning to the attending about what he read. She wasn't happy with it. She said he needs to be reading articles with the purpose of teaching the residents and attendings something that they don't know. So he seemed sad tonight that he isn't do well at something and it broke my heart. It reminds me of how they say intern and residency years will tear you apart and make you feel two inches tall every day. And to see just a sliver of it today...made me hug him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love you. Stay strong... he'll figure it out soon!
Thanks girl. I probably shouldn't have posted when I was so cranky ;0) He had Js Tae Kwon Do uniform in his truck and I assumed he'd be home in time for his 520 class- and wasn't, so I got the lecture from his instructor about how J the rules of not wearing street clothes in. I was reminded that I can NEVER expect anything or depend on him for anything, ya know?
its so weird how one doctor is so different than the other. dereks psych doctor was totally awesome and didn't make him feel stupid. hope it gets better or just goes fast:)
Wow. That is not at all realistic for a 3rd year student to be teaching a resident! That just doesn't sound like a fun rotation - but at least he will learn something from it. Mine was the opposite. I didn't learn as much as i wanted to about psych, but it was fun and rather easy and light.
Ugh how frustrating! My husband was lucky enough to have short days when he was on psych (he was usually done by noon or one) but he was still absolutely miserable (and claims he would rather have 14 hour days in something else).
The one blessing is that when he complains (about long or hard days) now I can remind him that he is at least lucky enough to be doing what he WANTS to be doing.
Hang in there!
Post a Comment