My TAKE TWO of sharing what this journey has been like for us:
The day we arrived in Kirksville, we had 12 muscle men show up to help us move in. We had plates of cookies and bars show up with smiling faces to welcome us. We had a fruit basket from amazing neighbors. We knew on the very first day WHY we turned down UND, M.D. programs, big city programs, to come to Kirksville. It was a dream place to move to when you are making a big change and moving away from the only life, family and friends you have ever known.
I made a beaded watch in Kirksville. I learned to bake bread. I made hair bows. I judged a chocolate Iron Chef competition. My son learned how to ride without training wheels. My twins started a garden with their daddy and the Garden Club at school. I watched and listened to ice crackling and falling from the trees. I saw fireflies and cicadas for the very first time. We spent hours with friends at the Aquatic Center. I joined spin class and ran my first mile. I lost 25 pounds in Kirksville. My faith deepened and my knowledge for other people's faith's grew. I decoupaged (did I even spell that right?) I watched my husband learn and explore his passion for knowledge, go on a 2 week preceptorship and have a blast on it. I met so many wonderful doctors and spouses and students and spouses. I got to go to Branson and the Lake of the Ozarks and New Orleans while trying to learn everything I can to support my husband in his venture and bring everything I learned from those places back to the SAA. I got to be President of the SAA (the support group for families).
All of these things were made possible because my husband was in medical school. So even on the days when I *wish* Phil was a PA or a biology teacher or a nurse, I am incredibly thankful for everything I've been able to do while seeing everything he is able to do!
3 comments:
I just gotta say . . . I love your "raw-ness"!! And, that comes with both the good and the bad. Nothing better than keeping it real . . . for yourself and all the others that you can share this with!
I like both of these posts. They're both very honest and true. I think I could say similar things from my perspective: in the first two (three!) years there were aspects I hated, and aspects that I'll cherish for years. Thank you for sharing--and not sugar coating!
I love your post... just goes to show that a lot of "living" goes on besides school work.
Post a Comment