Monday, December 13, 2010

The Lonely Life of a Surgeon's Wife?

So, the first two weeks P was on surgery fell over Thanksgiving. It was easy-peasy and I didn't understand why everyone dreaded surgery. Now, I get it.

He loves surgery.

He is with a preceptor though in his own practice so is with him and 2 family medicine residents, but every Wednesday he is alone with the doc so is 1st assist. He's gotten to do things like close fascia (I have no idea what that is but he was SOOO excited about it), insert and tie down a drain, inserted Foley catheters, suture and staple skin, intubate 2 patients, cut and tie varicose veins, see tumors, run the cameras during laproscope, stick his finger inside a World Champion boxer, and scrubs in every single surgery.

But, he is up at 3:30 am every morning to read for an hour before he goes in. A couple of days he's worked til 8, 9, 11 pm. If he's home at 5 or 6, he is on the couch reading...and falls asleep shortly after. He sleeps on the couch for 3 hours before getting up and going to bed.

I am so happy that he loves what he is doing. But I am so thankful this is only a 4 week rotation. If he matches Urology as he hopes, the 1st year of residency is General Surgery. The thought of that tonight makes me want to cry, and I have to keep reminding myself that he is doing this for us. For a better life. Or, because he likes to cut people open and play with cool medical toys.

8 comments:

lauramarie said...

i'm glad derek isn't the only one who falls asleep on the couch and i have to wake him up to go to bed. but it still annoys me:) hmm...and i thought being a doctors wife would be sweet...little did i know:)

APV said...

Ah - being a wife of a neurosurgery resident - I TOTALLY feel your pain. It's definitely a lonely life, but it's hard to deny them of it when they so clearly love it so much. Just hang in there!! It'll get bettet soon! (and then again if he chooses Urology!!)

Stephanie said...

Brendon loves surgery as well, but I'm glad he doesn't want the lifestyle. Let's be honest, I would not be a happy wife.

Those hours are INSANE! Brendon was the least busy during his surgery rotation. Gone around 8, home by 2 (in the PM).

Good luck for this last week. I'm home all the time, give me a call if you ever want to chat.

Anonymous said...

My husband is an internal med resident, and HE falls asleep on the couch all the time.

But man, I remember surgery rotation... It was rough. The only thing I can say is that you DO get used to loneliness. You find ways to cope. Sometimes I even relish my time alone. And it definitely gives me room to miss my husband, which is nice.

Krista said...

Falling asleep on the couch yesterday was ME... apparently that's the new norm!

Fascia is the most internal layer of tissue, and there's a special way to close it because it's super important to the healing process--getting to do all that is awesome. He's gotten more hands on there than I have here. But hours are similar: I'm up at 3 if I read, 4 if I don't, and usually home between 4-7pm.

I think things always get worse before they get better. Will be praying for you!

Abbie said...

ugh...colin likes surgery too. ick. i feel your pain!

Mandy, The Mother of All Chaos said...

Thank you everyone for listening to my honest feelings and understanding! Thank goodness Christmas break starts Friday.... you better be sure I am making him do the dishes that night =) hehe

Denise said...

A little late to the game, here, but since you already know how I felt about surgery residency, I figure it's cool...

And since I'm also in a state of pity party, table for 1, I'll just add: be thankful your kids are older!!! This will make it (a tad) easier!