Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Week's Off to a Great Start!


Well, I am thrilled to say that we both LIKE Psychiatry this week =) He has a new attending physician this week and he clicks well with him. This doc makes an effort to communicate with Phil and has an attitude of fixing the patients up and discharging them, whereas Phil's frustration last week was patients were just staying inpatient in the hospital with no real progress or change.

We discussed how interesting the Psych program would be to go through as a Resident... the reason for a different doc this week is: this is a KU Psych program. So, each KU psych doc rotates as the physician working at the hospital with inpatient for a week. Then, they teach and practice and do outpatient and other stuff the other 3 weeks. Sounds like each doc works at the hospital one week every 7 or 8. So, as a student/resident, you are learning from a different attending every week and their different teaching styles, expectations, etc. We wondered if this is a kinda screwed up way to work it? Or normal with an attachment to an academic program? Hm....

On a ME note: This morning, this was me:

Okay, well maybe not, but it was me in my mind. As I ran 3.2 MILES!!!! on the treadmill at the Y. I have never done this in my entire life. My goal is to do a 5K race when I go to San Francisco in October...and last week I seriously gave up. I would run 2 miles and just hate it and use vulgar curse words in my head. So today, I just decided, I'm gonna do it just to prove I can. AND I DID!!! Thank you Lord for giving me the strength my body needed!

No comments: